The Chase!

The Chase!
Bronco & Joely (look at her ears!)

On Alert!

On Alert!
Looking for snowballs...

Bronco Boy

Bronco Boy
Having fun!

Bronco

Bronco
Catching some air & snowballs!

Joely

Joely
Coming, Mom!

Wednesday, November 11, 2009

Just a Dog

"Just a dog". Really? This morning I dropped my two year old female beagle Joely off at the vet hospital. Dr. Dalton is, in my opinion, an excellent vet and the facility is staffed by great people and is cutting-edge in equipment, techniques and care. But leaving Joely there for what is most likely a common surgery (spay & removal of some suspicious growths) was more difficult than I expected it to be.

Why?

Maybe because it is the same place and the same people where Rudy, my 11 year old beagle passed away when I thought I'd be taking him home for a little while longer. Maybe it's because it is the same place and people who took care of him and his sister & litter mate Libby for the last years of their lives, and where those two old hound dogs established a reputation that only very special dogs can leave behind. Maybe it's because it's the only place Joely has ever been, where she has had all of her puppy exams. Maybe it's because it was just seven short months ago that Joely delivered her first - and what will be her only sweet litter of gorgeous beagle puppies.

I'm sure that Joely is in excellent care. I'm sure that all will go well and she'll recovery quickly without any complications. But watching her walk away with the vet tech was almost too much.

Only people who truly have a connection with their dogs can relate to my feelings this morning. Joely represents all of those special canine companions that become so much more than our furry four-legged friends. They are family. They belong to us. We belong to them. They grab our hearts and steal their own little place there, never to be taken by anyone or anything else.

Just a dog...when people tell me that I usually don't respond. They don't understand. They are not capable of understanding for they have not been blessed with the gift, yes the gift, that opens hearts a little deeper, allows us to love more fiercely, and enjoy the wonderful dog companions in our lives as they are meant to be.

I will admit it...I love my dogs. I love them as much as I love the people in my life. More often than not, my dogs have been a source of companionship and comfort when loneliness and despair could not be consoled in any other way. They offer a source of entertainment, fun and play that I can't get from anyone else in my life

Rudy, Libby, Joely and Bronco...I love you. You will never know the great gift and blessing you are in my life.

1 comment:

  1. I know EXACTLY what you are feeling...I have felt that same affection and bond with my animals...we are blessed, and we are not alone...

    ReplyDelete

Just Joely

Just Joely

Flight of the Beagles!

Flight of the Beagles!